Thursday, July 16, 2009

Things I'm Learning About Parenthood

Here are a few of the interesting discoveries I've made about being a mom . . .
  • I do not know how to keep a six-month-old entertained!
  • I know surprisingly few of the lyrics to classic children's songs . . . just the tunes - weird!
  • Baby boys will pee with reckless abandon the moment you happen to leave them uncovered
  • The songs that toys play are catchy . . . I can't get them out of my head at times
  • I relish moments that I have completely to myself - even a fifteen minute trip to the grocery store can feel rejuvenating!
  • Parenting is a two person job - I truly admire single moms, I could not do this alone
  • Babies require a lot of 'stuff' . . . we used to travel with one bag, we now travel with an entire trunk full of baby accoutrements
  • A baby's laugh is one of the best sounds in the whole world; inconsolable crying when you are in the check-out line at the grocery store is one of the most stressful
  • Each small illness your baby develops sends you hunting the internet or books for clues, all the while you are thinking 'should I call the doctor? am I overreacting?'
  • Helping a small child stop crying and fall asleep is a MAJOR accomplishment
  • Walking into a room and seeing your baby smile that huge toothless grin helps to put sleepless nights back into perspective (it makes you feel like a rock star!)
  • Always wait until the last minute to put on your nice clothes before leaving, inevitably they will end up covered in spit up (or poop . . . it's gross, but it has happened!)
  • Watching a baby try new things are moments of simple joy
  • Getting a baby dressed is hard work -- they can be extremely acrobatic in those moments



3 comments:

  1. if you have any desire to learn some kids songs, I have some cd's that aren't too obnoxious :-) I bought them when I taught at a daycare

    And I just can't get over how much he is turning from a baby into a little boy! miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise things you have learned! The joy of a baby only grows as they grow into little people. Their laughter is your favorite sound (next to James Earl Jones' God voice, of course).
    I never sing kid songs with Isaac, it's mostly worship songs, that's what I'd rock him to sleep with. This year I finally got a cd mix of kid songs and put it on the ipod for some fun songs to sing - Little Bunny Foo Foo is a fave - mostly b/c of the motions I do ;)
    I wish I could be there to watch you with your beautiful son.

    ReplyDelete